Tuesday, December 10, 2013

life changing...



....i'm a week from my 35th birthday... i took care of a patient back in the summer who was only 40yrs old. she was on life support because she had a massive brain bleed due to high blood pressure.  at the time, I kept thinking that she was only 10 lbs heavier than me, and maybe an inch taller, and she already had a complicated history of heart problems and a list of medications to go with it - but there she lie, a vegetable oblivious to the world around her, destined to live off life support measures until the family made their final decisions....all I could think was, that coulda been me in a few years....then as family members came in to visit (seemed like a never ending army of folks!), i realized that most of her family had the same issues - sister shared the same meds as my patient, the mother taking LOTS of insulin for diabetes, a cousin on dialysis... my interaction with them changed my world....Shortly after
that, I started the Body By Vi 90 day challenge. I've since lost 20 lbs and several inches and am still pushing. amazing what a shift in perspective can do...

No comments: